Wednesday, July 27, 2005

new visions of the Underground

So the other day I was on the tube in London, and I'm standing at one end of the carriage, and, sort of subconsciously, I'm checkin out each of the other passengers...ya know, not really trying to, but you just can't HELP but look at everyone a bit more carefully now can ya, hmm, that guy looks stressed... look at his backpack...etc etc. So my eyes continue along the row of people seated, and suddenly I see the headline a newspaper a guy is reading, and I almost jump as I read: "So, How Do we Spot a Terrorist?" I almost laugh ironically at myself, as this is basically what I had been doing just seconds before...

It's interesting really; yes the British have the stiff upper lip thing of course, and it's true in many parts of a normal day in London you wouldn't know anything has changed since 7 July. but then again, how can you NOT look at people more on the tube...maybe people are not outwardly and openly afraid, but what are they THINKING inside? as for me, a mixture of life-as-usual even though that surprises me to feel it, and minor changes in attitude and awareness for sure. The cartoon in the Independent last Sunday struck me as well: the commuter getting ready to go down the curving stairs under the Underground entrance, and low and behold ahead of him on the stairs is the outline of the Grim Reaper making his way down as well...
Not trying to be depressing, but an interesting commentary. I am though impressed with the resiliency of londoners and i think that is important to the city's ability to deal with everything as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home