Saturday, July 16, 2005

Sunshine in the city

So this year doesn't seem to have had quite the number of hours of sunshine that I remember from summers in London 2001-2003, but what we do get sure is appreciated. Today is one of those gorgeous summer days in Cambridge that makes me smile when I look out the window. Sunshine streams into our bedrooms through the windows that look out on the back garden of Herne Lodge. The garden is full of green, and right now 3 or 4 different colorful flowers and bushes are growing. Not that I know much about gardens at all, but it is a nice feeling to have such a green garden. Even though it is smaller than some yards in Florida, it is so much cosier than the stark square yards with a chain-link or wooden fence and plain grass that are often featured at home. All of the different trees and shrubs and green plants and flowers are comforting somehow. Though I guess part of the Florida challenge is it can be too hot to grow many of these plants!

Anyway, I may have mentioned this thought before, but it sure is a nice lifestyle to be in Cambridge and have the city at your feet with your bicycle and nothing else. To hop on and be off to the shops in 5-10 minutes max, not to mention pedaling past Kings College in the sunshine, and all of the centuries-old architecture. I've never lived in a place where everthing I could need in the town (groceries, clothing shops, restaurants, bars, parks, etc) is a short 5-10 minute bike ride from my house. Or even a 15-20 minute walk on a leisurely day. It's a great experience. Today I wandered the shops looking for Cambridge gifts to send home, amidst all of the summer tourists eating their ice cream and taking photos (and nearly getting run over by bikes). The breeze was fabulous. I think today is so nice because it's not TOO hot, 21-22 degrees instead of 30, but still great sunshine, my favorite weather. My dad calls these days 'California days', with the breeze and sunshine and dry weather compared to Florida humidity. Here's hoping the weather lasts a while...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home