Sunday, July 31, 2005

Two Roads Diverged....

Robert Frost's poem about making choices in life was always my favorite. And it's amazing to look back isn't it, and to think how small little decisions you made might have changed the entire path your life has taken since then. I think back to when I was deciding where to go to college...had I taken the offer at Penn, for instance, would I be living there now, near my best friend who did take that offer, outside of Philly and working in healthcare? Would that have meant I wouldn't have ended up working in London at all? And that I wouldn't have decided to do my MBA? And/or wouldn't have taken this amazing opportunity to learn at such an international program with such interesting classmates? Not to mention wouldn't have fallen in love and be making future decisions based upon someone else's decisions as well? And on and on. Wow. Or had I continued in the Medicine track...or had I not taken the London job....

So now I am in one of those places again, with the roads diverging ahead of me. And as Frost says, you always say 'oh I'll come back and try the other option another time,' but in all honesty chances are you will never be at this exact crossroads again and never have the opportunity to try the alternative paths. It is a mixture of excitement and uncertainty, opportunities and risks. So far I am happy with the path life has taken me on, and hope that the next stages go well also (i.e. post-MBA jobs!) Wish me luck.... will it be US or UK? Previous employer or new one? North or South, East or West..... and so it continues...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home