Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Hats off to crowds headed to Ascot today

I stumbled upon a small slice of British culture and 'pageantry' (in my opinion) yesterday, as I got off the train at London Kings Cross and started to see men in top hats and vests with canes all around... a certain alice-in-wonderland fairytale feeling floated through Kings Cross as people paraded down a long green and flowered walkway to get the train to the Royal Ascot. The Ascot horse races are supposed to be the most popular in Europe, and tradition goes back to the first race in 1711. Some random details about the history can be found here.

I've always been fascinated with the idea of the Hats tradition at Ascot, and I regretted not having my camera as I got to see many hats up close and personal. Women with their bright colors and hats that varied from small netting with frills to wide brimmed neon colors, flowers, trim and decor. The BBC website offers official 'tips for hats' in case you are ready to plan your own ensemble this week.

An archway was constructed over the platform heading to Ascot with a plaque and flowers, adding to the excitement of the event for those going, and completed with triumphant music playing in the background.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home