Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Final elective of the MBA

Two weeks from the end of our last term of lectures, I really was not looking forward to STARTING a new course, as many others were finishing. But Global Macroeconomics was scheduled as more of a 'block' course, over the final 2 weeks of term.

You might not expect a nurse/teacher/education manager to have much interest in Macro-Econ, but surprisingly it is one of my favorites. While at first thought the field of economics might seem somewhat remote to the average person on the street, when you really stop and think about the front section of any newspaper or the headline news, SO much of it is about economics. And so this course about differences in growth rates by country, different forms of capitalism, globalisation, currency exchange, etc feels really about a course in modern life, business and politics, and provides insight into the news articles I read each week. Especially given my lack of background in this area before. In 10 minutes with our professor I understood the fundamental idea of corporate governance, and I can now clearly describe the two ends of the spectrum on capitalism, liberal market economies and coordinated market economies, which underpin much about the two major American political parties for instance. It was also interesting to talk about growth rates being a function of available labor (i.e. working population), human capital (i.e. skilled and educated workforce), and capital investment (machinery etc), but overall growth rates being limited by technology. Interesting way to describe the differences that occur.

Ok so no I'm not going to go become an economist after a couple of courses, but so much of this was hazy and unclear before going on the MBA. Perhaps I'm playing a bit of catch up in comparison with classmates who work in finance and other areas, but better late than never I think. Between Global Macro and my Capital Markets course, whole areas of modern commerce are coming into focus for me which is fab. Highly recommend the courses for any future Cambridge MBAs by the way!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home