Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Roman Rendezvous: me + gelato!

Just returned from a romantic weekend trip in Rome. Ahh the eternal city...I love the mixture of real life and ruins, all intermingled on the same streets. I think before I went to Rome I somehow pictured the Colosseum to be free standing in a large field or something, not mixed into the city with buildings and modern roads all around. Granted, there are other ruins nearby as well (the forum) but still. The juxtaposition is great, somehow even more magical than having a 'modern' and 'ancient' part to the city.

My boyfriend's reaction to each new amazing sight (a deeply affected "whoa" with wide eyes) was worth every minute. (It was my second trip to Rome so I was slightly less wide-eyed but still loved it.) The ruins in the forum, the colosseum, St Peter's Basilica's immense size and spectacular features, the Sistine Chapel, the Vatican museum ceilings and frescoes, the Pantheon -rebuilt in 120AD and still used as a church! And on and on, not to mention endless churches, neighborhoods with character, fountains and piazzas, and pasta/pizza/gelato to bring about smiles at every corner.

Speaking of gelato...divine of course. But I never noticed HOW popular it is in Italy...not just for tourists, and not just for younger people either. On our Saturday night stroll through the squares, most(I mean definitely a majority of) people we passed were concentrating on the cone of ice cream/gelato in their hand, including parents and grandparents and people of all variety. On street after street..I've never been in one place with so much ice cream in my life!!! Not that I am complaining...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home